Miles to light years converter returns exact value for miles [mi] into light years [ly]. For 1 mi, the calculator will calculate 1.70108E-13
ly or in real number 0.000000000000170107795 ly. When converting to light years we are dealing with huge or very small numbers, therefore we can use scientific e notation.
Mile (mi for short) – the name mile comes from the Latin – Mille meaning a thousand. Initially, this unit referred to 1000 Double Steps. It was not until 1959 that the Anglo-American measures were standardized, including miles. Nowadays, when we mean a land mile, we are talking about a length of 1609.34 meters, or 1760 yards.
Light year (abbreviated ly) – this unit is used primarily in astronomy. Its length is simply equivalent to the distance light travelled in a vacuum in 1 year. To better visualize the value of this measure, an approximate value of 9.5 trillion kilometers can be given.
Miles to light years converter on the table
|Miles [m]||Light years [ly]|
|Numbers||mi in ly||ly in mi|
Examples of converting miles to light years
Try using miles to light years converter to see some interesting results. Sometimes one converter is not enough to see the results we are interested in. When calculating the known values in meters, you may need to use meters into miles calculator or kilometers into miles calculator.
- Elbe–Vltava 1252 km (North Sea) this length can also be written as about 777.96 miles or 0.000000212975 light years.
- Juruena 1240 km (Tapajós) this length can also be written as about 770.5 miles as well as 0.000000210934 light years.
- Shire 1200 km (Zambezi) this length can also be written as about 745.65 miles and 0.000000204129 light years.
- Mun – Chi 1162 km (Mekong River) this length can also be written as about 722.03 miles as well as 0.000000197665 light years.
- Veryovkina Cave 2212 m (Abkhazia / Georgia) this depth is approximately 1.37 miles and approx 0.000000000376 light years.
- Torca del Cerro del Cuevon 1589 m (Spain) this depth is approximately 0.99 miles or 0.00000000027 light years.
- Pantjuhinskaja Cave 1508 m (Abkhazia / Georgia) this depth is approximately 0.94 miles and approx 0.000000000257 light years.
- Egma Sinkhole 1429 m (Turkey) this depth is approximately 0.89 miles or 0.000000000243 light years.