Yards in miles or yds to miles converter allows you to calculate the number of miles [mi] by entering any number of yards [yd]. Easily calculate yd to mi. See also miles to yards converter.
A yard (abbreviated yd) is a unit of length that was used in the English system of measurement (until 1971) and is now used in the American system of measurement. It is an imperial unit that was established in Great Britain
There are different names for the yard depending on the layout. There is an English yard and an American yard, but the difference in length is negligible. The most popular is the international yard, which is 0.9144 meters long. 1 yard is taken to be the same as 3 feet or 36 inches.
Origin of the name Yards (yds)
As a curiosity, it can be added that the word “yard” comes from the words “branch” or “stick”. On the other hand, the origin of the yard measure is not fully known. It can refer to the circumference of a person’s waist or the distance from the tip of the nose to the thumb – with the arm outstretched.
Mile (mi for short) – the name mile comes from the Latin – Mille meaning a thousand. Initially, this unit referred to 1000 Double Steps. It was not until 1959 that the Anglo-American measures were standardized, including miles. Nowadays, when we mean a land mile, we are talking about a length of 1609.34 meters, or 1760 yards.
Yds to miles
Yds to miles is a popular unit conversion. Among the known units of measurement, yds to miles is similar to yds to kilometer and yds to nautical mile.
Yd to kilometer = 0.0009144 km
1 yd to mile = 0.000568 mi
Yd to Nautical Mile (INT) = 0.0004937
Yards in miles converter on the tables
|Yards [yds]||Miles [mi]|
Convert known heights to yards in miles
Yards in miles – yds to miles converter can have many uses. To better understand the size scale of the units used, both measures are compared with known quantities on Earth.
- Lhotse 8516 m (Nepal) using a different metric unit it is 9313.211 yds or 5.292 mi.
- Ngadi Chuli 7871 m (Nepal) using a different metric unit it is 8607.83 yds or 4.891 mi.
- Gongga Shan 7556 m (China) using a different metric unit it is 8263.342 yds or 4.695 mi.
- Mana Peak 7272 m (India) using a different metric unit it is 7952.756 yds or 4.519 mi.
- Guangzhou CTF Finance Centre 530 m (Guangzhou, China) this length corresponds to 579.615 yds or 0.329 mi.
- KK100 442 m (Shenzhen, China) this length corresponds to 483.377 yds or 0.275 mi.
- CITIC Plaza 390.2 m (Guangzhou, China) this length corresponds to 426.728 yds or 0.242 mi.
- Gevora Hotel 356.3 m (Dubai, United Arab Emirates) this length corresponds to 389.654 yds or 0.221 mi.