The steps to kilometres (km) converter calculates the distance in km based on your stride length. Converts e.g. 10000, 5000, 1000 steps per km.
Since kilometres are the more common metric unit than steps, it is sometimes necessary to convert. You can often meet the question of how many steps a day should we walk. Knowing the number of steps, you can convert them into kilometres.
In addition, an average stride length is usually given, which may differ significantly from reality. Variables that affect stride length include height, walking speed or gender. The most important thing is walking speed.
Kilometres to steps converter
If we play sports professionally or as a hobby, today we have many ways to measure the distance. Usually, a GPS receiver is enough, which is present in many electronic devices such as smartwatches, smartphones, etc.
How the number of steps is calculated
Definitions of converters:
- The calculator works according to the formula of 180 steps per minute. This is approximately the average steps per minute an athlete gets.
- The stride lengths are calculated on the basis of the following factors: height X 0.413 for women and height X 0.415 for men.
- Generally, we can assume that the average walking speed is from 4 km/h to 5 km/h. While for running it is from 8 km/h to 10 km/h.
Steps to kilometres converter lets you know the distance you walk based on the number of steps. All you need to do is enter your steps, gender, and your walking or running speed. The result for distance is presented in kilometres, and for the stride length in centimetres.
Steps to kilometres (km) for examples
If you are a man 180 cm tall, then:
- By walking 500 steps at 4 km/h, will cover 0.19 km.
- Walking 1000 steps at a speed of 5 km/h, you will walk 0.47 km.
- If you run 5000 steps at 8 km/h, you will achieve a distance equivalent to 3.79 km.
- If you run at 10 km/h and take 10000 steps, it would be like running about 9.48 km.
In case you are a woman of height of 165 cm, then:
- By walking 600 steps at a speed of 3 km/h, you will cover the distance of about 0.16 km.
- If you walk at a speed of 6 km/h, you will get a distance of 0.78 km by performing 1500 steps.
- By running a distance of 15000 steps at a speed of 11 km/h, you can reach a distance of 14.27 km.
Kilometres (km) to steps in the tables
|Km||Steps for a 171 cm tall man||Steps for a 160 cm tall woman|
The calculation in the table above is based on an average walking speed of 5 km/h. The difference in the number of steps is mainly due to height, however, gender may also have a minor influence.